5 Natural Methods of Eliminating Ants For Good
Summertime means ants. These tiny critters pack a mean punch. Their bites result in red skin bumps. Sometimes, they cause severe allergies. They can make you itch and may even cause swelling. If bitten, be careful not to scratch. This can cause infection, warns Everyday Health.
Avoid the bite with these home remedies for eliminating ants for good:
1. Borax repellent. Mix 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon Borax in a lidded plastic container. Creekline House says to poke holes in the lid and pour a bit of sugar around the container. Doing so will lure the ants to the container and encourage them to fall into the trap.
2. Non-toxic ant repellent. Pour 2/3 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup water, 20 drops clove essential oil, 20 drops tea tree oil and 1 teaspoon liquid castile soap in a spray bottle. Spritz the ants and their entry points to eliminate the insects and discourage further invasions.
3. Tea tree oil. This one ingredient solution is a miracle worker, according to Scratchy Mommy. Dip a q-tip in tea tree oil and apply it to entry points around the home.
4. Boiling water. If you know where the ant hill is located, kill the problem at its source by pouring boiling water directly down the hill, says Scratchy Mommy.
5. Lemon juice. Mix 1 part lemon juice and 1 part water in a spray bottle. DIY & Crafts says to spray the mixture in your home wherever ants may come inside.