Even though they are not nutritious, curly fries remind us of amazing times with having our fingers greasy in a fast food restaurant or at a baseball game. Even though there are many recipes made as a healthy substitute for French fries (made from sweet potatoes, zucchini, or parsnip), the shape of the curly fries makes them difficult to substitute with anything. Here you cannot get away with breading sliced vegetables and call them fries.
However, this incredible tool will help you overcome that difficulty and finally get yourself an alternative to curly fries. The spiralizer makes noodles out of any vegetable that you can think of! If you do not have this tool you can always buy zoodles at most grocery stores and stores that sell healthy food.
You can spiralize as you would with a regular zoodle recipe, but instead of using them as noodles, chop the zucchini strips up and coat them in breading. After, bake them until perfection and treat yourself to a nutritious and tasty snack.
The recipe is low in carbs and gluten-free. Additionally, it lacks the excess oil that traditional fries have. Make sure you share this recipe with your friends and save it because once you try it, you will always want to make some more.
Baked Parmesan Zucchini Curly Fries
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Total time – 45 minutes
Used for 6 servings
- Avocado oil (cooking spray or regular avocado oil)
- ¼ cup of cornstarch
- 4 lightly beaten large egg whites or whole eggs
- 1 cup of gluten-free panko crumbs
- ¾ ounce of grated Parmesan cheese (for a vegan option, use nutritional yeast)
- 1½ teaspoons of dried oregano
- 12 ounces of spiralized zucchini noodles
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of ranch dressing
- ¼ cup of marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and coat them with the avocado oil.
- Prepare three dishes in an assembly line. In the first one add the cornstarch. In another, place the beaten eggs or egg whites. In the last, mix the Parmesan, panko, and oregano.
- The zucchini noodles need to be chopped to 5-6 inch pieces.
- Dip the noodles in the cornstarch, then the egg, then the panko mixture and shake off any extra of the ingredients after each dip.
- Position the noodles in a single layer on the baking sheets by adding space between each fry.
- Add a little bit of avocado oil to the zoodles or brush them with a baking brush dipped in oil.
- Bake the noodles until they become crispy and golden (for 10 to 12 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle salt on the fries.
- Mix the marinara sauce and the ranch dressing in a bowl as a dip for the fries.
Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs Recipe
Panko is a flaky mixture that has been used in traditional Asian cuisine. Usually, panko is made with white bread with the crusts cut off and later processed into dried flakes instead of crumbs. The texture of panko is airy, light, and delicate which makes it perfect for adding a crunch to baked and fried foods.
A home-made panko is made quickly and easily and there are two ways of making it:
- Place 3 cups of gluten-free rice or corn cereal into a blender, food processor, or a plastic bag. Crush the crumbs until they are the desired texture but be careful not to over-process them because they will become powder.
- Pulse four to five slices of your favorite gluten-free bread until the crumbs are stiff. If you wish, you can add ½ a tablespoon of salt and dried herbs. Bake the crumbs on 325 degrees for 8 minutes and then stir them and return them to the oven for additional 7 minutes.
If you do not want to trouble yourself with making home-made panko, you can always order them online or buy them from your local health food or grocery store.
You can buy a package of fresh zucchini noodles from your local grocery or make your own zucchini noodles. Two or three zucchinis should be enough, depending on their size, for 12 ounces of zoodles.
Store-bought ranch dressings are usually filled with additives and unhealthy oils. However, don’t be discouraged because making your own ranch dressing is easy. Just mix these ingredients together and you’re set.
- ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of dill
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher pink salt
- 2 tablespoons of water for tinning the dressing
Tip 4: Marinara Sauce
If you have a special store-bought marinara sauce you can buy it to use for this recipe, however, you can always make your own. The recipe for the marinara sauce will only take 10 minutes to make. Just mix these ingredients in a small pot:
- 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Allow the mixture to simmer for seven minutes.
- Enjoy sauce with crisp Zucchini Curly Fries!