Firefighters Want Everyone To Know What They Should Never Plug Into A Power Strip

/
img

As most of the northern hemisphere enters the colder months of the year, heating systems are being turned on.

Oregon firefighters have published a very important article regarding their safety. Their number one tip?

Never connect the radiator to a multiple power strip.

Heaters can reach up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, so it’s imperative that anyone who uses them do so safely. Their tips include:

Never plug in a power strip, but always plug directly into a wall unit;

Always keep a minimum space of one meter around the stove in the room;

Always keep an eye on the stove while it is in use;

Never light it while sleeping or in another room;

Place the stoves on flat, level surfaces;

Never place stoves on cabinets, tables, furniture or rugs;

How to Prevent Electrical Fires at Home

Keep all appliances that generate heat unplugged when not in use.

This includes: Styling Tools, Kettles, Heaters. Essentially, anything that produces heat when turned on can overheat and catch fire if left on for too long.

Use extension cords for temporary use only. Do not use 24/7 extension cords, they are only intended for temporary use.

Contact an electrician to install additional outlets if you need them.

Consider upgrading the electrical system in your home. If you live in an older house, chances are the house has an old electrical system. Contact an electrician to have it evaluated and consider upgrading it. Older and less advanced systems are more likely to overheat and cause fires.

Do not use damaged power cords. If the power cord is damaged in any way – frayed, cracked, or broken, do not use it.

Follow the device instructions. The instructions are not only there for optimal use of the product, they are there to protect you.

Don’t ignore trouble signals. There are several signs that the device may overheat or that there is a problem with the outlet it is plugged into. These include: Signs of burning or discoloration around a socket; The appliance, power cord or plug is hot to the touch; Smell of burning while using the appliance; Electrical sparks or electric shock every time the appliance is plugged in; Flickering light even after replacing the bulb;

Finally, make sure you have smoke detectors in every room and that they are working properly. That way if something goes wrong you will be notified and be safe.

Sources:

secretlifeofmom.com

www.homesweethomegroup.com

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar