Raising a child in today’s society can sometimes be overwhelming and stressful moments will occur. However, parents shouldn’t take it for granted. Adults who raise children are honored and privileged to influence their children’s’ behavior, habits, and what kind of people they want to be when they grow up. No matter if you are a parent, uncle, or a family friend, the way you project yourself will always have an impact on children.
Nonetheless, all adults have their way of influencing children and it doesn’t mean they must follow this list. But be sure to read all the following points, as some of them will resonate with you. The future lies in children’s hands and it is the adults’ job to raise them well and with good manners. The way we treat them will reflect on us and the planet in the future. Here are the 10 ways to behave towards children:
- When you do something wrong, apologize to them.
- Just because you’re older, doesn’t mean you are smarter than a child.
- When a child does something for you or others, thank them.
- Always be open about the mistakes you’ve done.
- Do not neglect them and listen when they talk.
- Make sure you set boundaries for acceptable behavior.
- Make it easy for them to follow you as a person.
- Teach them to love, to be kind and to practice compassion.
- Explain how actions have good or bad consequences.
- Enjoy the time while they are growing up and nurture them. You have the privilege to guide and shape them into reasonable adults.
This list should remind you of the responsibility you have toward your children. You shouldn’t question your skills if you are not following all the recommendations. We can all learn from this and try to be better people for the sake of ours and our children’s future.