Many people enjoy the quiche, however, they do not like the classic crust. If you replace the processed white flour with sweet potatoes, you will give yourself an unusual and tasty alternative that is also healthy and gluten-free.
To start, you’ll need to get potatoes that are approximately the same size and diameter for equal cuts. Use a mandolin or food processor to make the cutting much quicker.
Recipe For Spinach And Feta Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup onions, sliced
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
Preparing the crust
- Start by preheating the oven to 350F.
- Peel off the crust from the potatoes and cut them into slices approximately ⅛ inches each.
- Take the cooking spray and apply it on a 9-inch pie plate and layer it with sweet potatoes. For the edges, you can cut the slices in half so that they fit.
- Spray the potatoes with the cooking spray.
- Let them bake in the oven for 20 minutes until they become tender.
- After, remove them from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack.
Preparing The Filling
- Turn the oven to 375F.
- Heat a large skillet on medium on the stove.
- Add oil to the skillet and fry the onions for 3 minutes. After, add the spinach and fry it for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove the spinach and the onions from the stove and let them cool off.
- Add the milk, pepper, salt, eggs, and egg whites in a bowl and mix them.
- Add the mixture of spinach to the crust and pour in the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top of the mixture.
- Put it in the oven and let it bake for 30 minutes at 375F.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and cut into 8 wedges for serving.
You can serve the quiche for any meal. For breakfast, you can add a side of fruit salad, whereas, for lunch or dinner, you can make a vegetable or chicken soup.
If you want to swamp your recipe with some alternatives, you can use nondairy milk for those that want dairy-restriction but make sure you avoid oat milk unless it says that it’s gluten-free. If you want to find an alternative for the feta cheese, you can use Violife Feta Block.
You can also make your own Feta Cheese with this next Vegan Almond Feta Cheese recipe:
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ cups of raw almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup + 4 tsp water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Add hot water in 2 cups and soak the almonds for about 2 hours.
- Take off the skin from the almonds.
- Add them and 1 ½ cups of water into the food processor and blend them until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and mix them until they become smooth. If needed, you can add 1 tablespoon of extra water at a time.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until the mixture becomes firm. If you want the mixture to become firmer, leave them in the fridge overnight.
Once you’re starting to process the mixture, it may look something like nut milk. However, it will firm up once the nuts are processed and broken down. To keep a firmer texture, use less water. When the process is finished, add the cheese mixture in a small container like ice cube plastic and put it in the fridge. Even though the texture won’t be the same as feta cheese from cow’s milk, it will have a small difference in the price of replacing the dairy from the recipe.
After using, make sure you refrigerate the cheese. Use within 4-5 days.