At some point in life, many people thought of becoming vegans or vegetarians. Some of them are trying to be healthy and experience the benefits of not eating meat and others are becoming vegans because of many ethical implications. However, many of them won’t go vegan or vegetarians because of the fact that being in such a regime can be very hard. Not only because it is hard to find proper products to eat, but also choosing the right nutrients that the body will need after eliminating the meat.
Anyway, if you are going vegan and do it properly, you won’t find it that hard. A senior researcher of environmental sustainability and public health at the University of Oxford, Marci Springmann, says eating vegan “could be one of the healthiest diets, outperforming pescatarian and vegetarian, because the vegan diet is higher in fruit, vegetables, and legumes and the health benefits from this compensate anything else”.
Are you interested in trying those legumes? We introduce you to the sweet potato and black bean burger. You can add a delicious yogurt spread that will certainly satisfy the needs of both your health and your taste buds. Just so you know – you will be eating this delicious recipe in less than an hour after you start preparing it!
Read the following ingredients to make this burger. You will need:
- 2 cups grated sweet potato
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of rinsed, no-salt-added black beans
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- Food processor
- Cast-iron skillet
If you want to have the best results, make sure to refer to the cooking notes at the end of each applicable step!
- Before you start cooking, cool the sweet potato and black bean patties in the refrigerator for thirty (30) minutes. Note that these burger patties will last for two days in the fridge. But if you want your burger to have the perfect taste, use them before they become spoiled.
- You will make the yogurt sauce out of the dill, yogurt, and lemon and spread it later when the burger is done. Although we recommend adding this sauce, if you prefer a sauceless patty, avoid these ingredients.
- Use the cucumbers as a garnish, but you can leave them aside if you want to.
- You can also make this recipe gluten-free by replacing the bun. Keep in mind that not all store-bought outs are necessarily gluten-free, even though pure oats are. Make sure to check before serving it to anyone who is gluten-intolerant.
How to Do It:
- First, you need to prepare the sweet potato, dill, and cucumbers according to the ingredients list. Then, press the grated potatoes between two sheets of paper towel, or in a clean cloth, to dry them.
- To grind your oats, use a food processor.
- Pick a large bowl and mix the oats, sweet potato, scallions, beans, mayonnaise, tomato paste, salt, and curry powder together.
- Use your hands if you prefer to and don’t be afraid to get messy.
- Take the mixture in your hands and shape it like a patty. With these ingredients, you can produce for patties which will be nearly half an inch thick. Add more of the ingredients if you want more patties or you like them to be thicker.
- Put the patties on a plate and refrigerate them for thirty (30) minutes. Put them in the fridge uncovered.
- Next, you need to blend the yogurt, dill and lemon juice. This mixture will form the burger’s dressing.
- Take a pan, add some olive oil, and warm the stove burner at medium-high heat.
- Take the patties out of the fridge and put them on the frying pan. Wait until one of the sides of the patty becomes hued. Then, flip it on the other side. It should take 3 minutes per side to be done.
- Voila! Your burgers are prepared!
Here Are Some Plating Suggestions:
- On both the top and bottom buns you can add a coating of yogurt
- You can add the cucumber slices underneath the burger
Additionals Information About The Nutrients:
432 mg sodium
2 g carbohydrates
2 g total fat
7 g saturated fat
9 g sugar