Many people find the sound of rain enjoying and soothing. Others find the smell of rain pleasant and nerve soothing. A walk in the rain can have many healing and soothing benefits, releasing negative energy and thoughts.
Two Australian scientists gave the scent of rain a special name in the 1960s, and it’s called Petrichor.
The scent of rain is a combination of three things:
- Oils released from plants during dry spells
- Chemicals that are released by the soil-dwelling bacteria
- Ozone created when lightning splits nitrogen and oxygen molecules which turn into nitric oxide.
If you are feeling blue, stressed, or want to relax, the rainy days are perfect for you.
Despite lowering your stress levels, walks during the rain can give you the following 7 benefits:
- Refresh your mind with the smell of the rain
- High humidity can keep the hair and skin moisturized. Additionally, rainfall is alkaline, which can help your scalp and skin.
- Researchers from Japan proved that physical activities done in cold or rainy weather could burn more fats and calories than exercising on a typical sunny day.
- Droplets from the rain absorb microbes and dust, thus making the air cleaner and purified.
- People who walk in the rain can make them feel more rebellious. If you ever feel like you need to break a rule, go out and walk in the rain.
- Problems that you have can be seen in another perspective.
- Fewer people walk out on the rain, thus making rain walks a better sense of space. Your thoughts and emotions can roam free.
Do not be afraid to take a rain walk whenever you can!