Using overripe bananas is something that many people are recommended to know instead of troughing them away. They are best in homemade banana bread which can be enriched with cinnamon and nutmeg, and to be a little bit sweet with sugar.
People generally know that bananas are very nutritious, but they wonder how many calories and carbs they actually contain.
A medium-sized banana contains 105 calories, on average. Below you can find containment of the calories, depending on banana sizes:
- Extra-large (152 grams, > 9 inches) – 135 calories.
- Large (136 grams, 8–9 inches) – 121 calories.
- Medium (118 grams, 7–8 inches) – 105 calories.
- Small (101 grams, 6–7 inches) – 90 calories.
- Extra small (81 grams, < 6 inches) – 72 calories.
- Sliced (1 cup, 150 grams) – 134 calories.
- Mashed (1 cup, 225 grams) – 200 calories.
Bananas contain good amounts of carbs, several vitamins, and minerals. Here are the numbers for one medium-sized banana:
- Carbs: 25 grams
- Fiber: 3.1 grams.
- Vitamin B6: 22% of the RDI.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2): 5% of the RDI.
- Vitamin C: 17% of the RDI.
- Potassium: 12% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 16% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 8% of the RDI.
- Copper: 5% of the RDI.
- Folate: 6% of the RDI.
After black pepper, the cinnamon is the second most popular spice in Europe and the United States. According to scientists, cinnamon has numerous health benefits, including healing fungal infections, balancing blood sugar levels, preventing Alzheimer’s disease, protecting against HIV, preventing multiple sclerosis, lowering the effects of high-fat meals, and others.
Recipe for Cinnamon Banana Bread:
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar,
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon,
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg, and
- 2 Bananas
- Mix the spices and sugar together
- Spray skillet
- Slice bananas and put slices into a pan,
- Sprinkle slices with the mixture on top and start cooking
- Cook over medium heat 2 minutes,
- After lipping the banana slices, add the rest of the sugar and spice mixture to the other side, then continue cooking for 2 minutes
This type of bread is great for snacks or breakfast. It takes only 10 minutes for preparing.
In the video below is shown complete method of preparing the bread: