One of the most healthy and nutritious vegetables you could find is the celery. It’s a rich source of potassium, magnesium, Vitamins A, B, C, and K. Additionally, celery is rich in phytonutrients.
Phytonutrients act as strong antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents which can boost up the immune system and intracellular communication, as well as repair any damage done to the DNA.
Jillian Levy, CHHC, made a statement about celery, saying:
“Fresh celery benefits nutrition thanks to all the tremendous vitamins and minerals it contains. One cup of chopped raw celery (about 101 grams) contains approximately:
- 16.2 calories
- 3.5 grams carbohydrates
- 0.7-gram protein
- 0.2-grams fat
- 1.6 grams of fiber
- 29.6 micrograms vitamin K (37 percent DV)
- 453 international units (9 percent DV)
- 36.5 micrograms folate (9 percent DV)
- 263 milligrams potassium (8 percent DV)
- 3.1 milligrams vitamin C (5 percent DV)
- 0.1-milligram manganese (5 percent DV)
- 0.1-milligram vitamin B6 (4 percent DV)
- 40.4 milligrams calcium (4 percent DV)
- 0.1-milligram riboflavin (3 percent DV)
- 11.1 milligrams magnesium (3 percent DV)
All with some sugars, celery also contains some vitamin E, niacin, pantothenic acid, iron, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium.”
Many researchers recommend putting celery in your diet because of these 14 benefits it gives:
- Helps you lose weight because of low amounts of calories but high amounts of fiber
- Celery can help hydrate the body because it’s 95% of water
- It helps balance the pH of the body.
- Can help relieve acid reflux and heartburn because of its low acidity
- It can help you fall asleep quicker because it relaxes the nervous system.
- Can prevent and treat chronic inflammation
- The risk of gastritis and gastric ulcers are lowered
- Can help treat constipation as well as numerous stomach problems
- While you chew the celery, it breaks down in fiber strands which help floss your teeth like a natural dental floss.
- Because of its richness in male pheromones, androstenone, and androstenol, it can act as a natural aphrodisiac
- The phthalide contained in the celery help balance blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Urinary tract infections can be treated because of the diuretic properties of celery
- It can improve vision, protect the cornea, and treat dry eyes because of the high amounts of Vitamin A it contains.
- Boosts the amount of hormone aldosterone which helps with fertility in men and the count of sperm.
Celery has a very amazing taste and with its many varieties of benefits it delivers, you’re crazy if you don’t start consuming it. You can prepare it in different ways such as salads, soups, stir-fries, eat it with dressings, or dip in hummus, sauces, or peanut butter.